So what is Free Radio Network ?
FRN is a Voice Over Internet Protocol client similar to Skype, eQSO and others. The difference between skype and FRN is that you can connect many different types of radio systems to FRN. Full instructions on how to do this are on the 'Radio Gateways' page on this site.
If you want to join in on our conversations on FRN then please follow the instructions below, download and install the FRN software on your computer and in a few minutes you could be on the Cyprus- Server as the latest member of our group....You will notice that it sounds a lot like Ham Radio and indeed most of our members do use callsigns, some are Radio Amateurs, some are CB or 11 meter radio operators, some are not into radio at all and use the system just like Skype. However most of our members do have the radio and computing hobby and a lot of them are into weather monitoring too.
So what do I have to do to get onto the Cyprus Server ?
First of all make sure you have a microphone and speakers or a headset connected to your computer,
now download the Free Radio Software by clicking on the link HERE
You can download the FRN user manual by clicking on the link HERE
Full instructions on how to proceed with the installation and setting up your new FRN client are included on the page. On running the FRN software for the first time a registration box will open where you enter your details such as Username, Callsign, email address, Country, City and Part of city. Once you have entered all the required information click on 'Get Password' and your FRN client password will be emailed to the email address you entered. Once you recieve your password enter it in the password box at the bottom of the ID box.
Now run the software again and enter cyprus-server.no-ip.org into ther server field on the client.
Now enter 10026 into the port field on the client..... now you are ready to connect....click on the connect button..
After a few seconds you will be connected to the 'test room', in here everything you say will be repeated back to you so you can hear what you sound like to others. Just press and hold the PTT (Push to talk) button to speak and let it go to listen. When you are happy with the way your audio sounds press the small down arrow button next to your CONNECT/DISCONNECT button and select the 'English' room from the drop down list of rooms, now click connect. WELL DONE YOU HAVE FOUND US !!!
It's best just to listen for a while to get the jist of the conversation begore joining in. Those already talking will no doubt see you appear on their screen and invite you into the conversation.
In the event of our main server being offline the system will automatically transfer all stations to our backup server. When this happens your screen will go blank for a few seconds then you will notice that the server name has changed from 'cyprus-server' to 'cyprus-backup', you will also notice a small yellow triangle flashing on your FRN client, this is to let you know that you are on the backup server.
When the main server comes back online everyone will automatically be transferred back on to it. (CAUTION), do not connect directly to the backup server, if you do you will not transfer back onto the main server with everone else. The proper procedure is to try and connect to the main server even if it appears offline, if it is you will be transferred as decribed above.
A big thank you to Wes (UK1AB) in Sheffield, UK for hosting the Backup server.
Accessing our server using Skype
In this increasingly connected world, all the latest mobile phones are coming with skype already installed giving users the option of free Skype to Skype calls worldwide. Here at the Cyprus-Server we like to keep up with the game so now you can access the Cyprus-server using your Skype software. There are two Skype gateways operating on our server one in the 'Énglish' room and the other in the 'Swedish' room simply add 'cyprus.server' to your contact list for the 'English ' room and 'sweden.cyprus' for the Swedish room. Call us on Skype and when we receive your request to exchange details you will be added to our authorised list of FRN Skype users. After this wherever you are in the world all you need to talk to us is a Skype enabled mobile phone, Laptop, Netbook PDA etc
When connected you will be patched into the room you have chosen, If you don't hear anyone talking listen for a minute and then put out a call. be careful that there's not too much background noise as the system operates on VOX. If you going to just listen then mute your microphone. It's a lot like accessing the system using a radio link, you will not be able to see the FRN users on a PC screen so will have to rely on what you hear....
Accessing our server using radio.
You can also access our server using a handheld or mobile CB or PMR446 radio if you are in range of a 'radio gateway' which is located on our server, see the 'radio gateways' page on this site for more information.
Accessing our server using an Android device. NEW & HOT
You can also access our server using any android device such as an Android smartphone. This is achieved by downloading the new GRN (FRN) client for Android App from HERE.
The latest version is goo.gl/PMjek
Download the app onto your PC then connect your mobile phone to the PC and transfer the file to your Android phone. Once on your phone you can install the app as normal, alternatively follow the installation instructions on the GRN website to install directly onto your phone, the graphics on the page are in Italian but you should be able to follow them with the rest of the text on the page translated to English.
After installing the app on your device you will have to register it onto the FRN Network. The information required is similar to that you would enter into a normal FRN Client. Since downloading and using this App I have noticed the following..
1. I suggest you use a new email address when registering this App. You can get free email addresses from www.mail.com
2. When entering the server also include the port number as follows cyprus-server.no-ip.org:10026
3. If you have trouble with registering the App, try creating a new FRN client on your PC then after getting the new password, enter all the details into the app.
This app is still in the Beta stage and continues to be developed, there are a few bugs to be ironed out but on the whole I have found it to work well with very favourable audio reports from people I have had QSO's with. You may have to turn off the screen flip on your phone, I found that the PTT locked if the screen flipped, this may be just peculiar to my phone. I'd also like the PTT button to be a bit larger, apart from this the App is very stable and I've been using it a lot.
If you download and use this app I'm sure the developers would be grateful for all feedback and suggestions, you can contact them via their website at http://www.gnuradionetwork.org/
This website is in Italian you can use your browser to translate it. Their email address is at the bottom of the page
Thanks to Maurizio for all his hard work.
Finally if your using this app on your 3G network, check on your data package and make sure your not going to use up your data allowance too quickly. ENJOY !!
1. The English language is to be used on all rooms on this server except where otherwise provided for. At the moment there are dedicated Swedish and Greek rooms for use of operators in those languages.
2. No foul, insulting or obscene language is permitted nor is discussion of politics or religion.
3. It is not necessary to whistle to test your audio levels. If possible roger beeps and echo mic's or units should be switched off. Any station playing music will be automatically banned from the server.
4. Radio links are the responsibility of their owners who must ensure that they cause no interference
5. Crosslinks to other servers are welcomed, same rule applies as at (4) above.
6. Please keep your overs short, remember that this is a shared system and leave a 5 second gap between overs to allow other stations to call in/join the conversation. There is nothing more frustrating than being unable to use the system because the stations already talking are not leaving enough time for you to get in. (NOTE ** This rule applies only to the 'Public rooms' and not to 'Private rooms 1 & 2).
7. You can use the text facility to break or QSK in the room if you are having problems trying to join a QSO
All that is required to operate on FRN is common sense, patience and civility. Follow the server guildelines above and you cannot go far wrong. As a lot of our members are radio operators you may well hear them using different codes and callsigns, a full list of codes you may hear on our server are in the 'Code Page' on this website, please feel free to print out the page for future reference.
You can change your status code by clicking on the little TV screen icon next to your PTT button, each status code is associated to a colour as follows -
GREEN - When your status is green is means you are available for calls and those other members in the room may well call on you, it also means you can call other people too. When your client is on green both recieve and transmit are activated.
YELLOW - When your status is yellow it means you are unavailable, you will not normally get called when in this mode. When your client in on yellow you can recieve but not transmit, so you can still listen in when you are busy doing other things.
GREY - When your status is grey it means you are offline, you can leave your client still connected to our server in grey mode and you will still appear in the room, but your client will be greyed out. When your client is in grey mode you cannot recieve or transmit but you can see who else is in the room.
The FRN client can operated in 3 modes,
1. PCOnly mode - In this mode you use a microphone & speakers or headset to talk and listen
2. Radio client mode - This mode is used when a radio is connected to the system (see radio gateways page)
3. Crosslink mode - This mode is used by system administrators to link 2 servers together or to stream audio.
How do I send pictures over FRN using the text I.M facility ?
1. Click on the little envelope icon on your FRN client, this will open a text box.
2. Click on the 'Image' button, (the button will stay selected) then type in or paste the internet URL where the picture is located and then click on the 'Image button again (this deselects it). Now press 'Send Message', your picture should appear in the text box. TIP - use your web browser to open the picture then copy the URL from it's address bar. You can then paste it into the FRN text box. The text line should look like this example ....
3. You can send a picture to everyone in the room by just doing as above or you can send a picture to one person by 'right clicking' on their icon on the FRN screen and selecting 'Send text message'.
This facility is slightly limited as all pictures are reduced in size by FRN to thumbnails. So you may have to also paste the URL as a normal text for users to click on to see the full size image.
If you wish to contact us you can do it in the following ways,
email : firstname.lastname@example.org
On FRN : The following are administrators on our server, Please call for assistance if required.
5B59B - Ian <-> UK1AB - Wesley <-> JURA -Ian <-> 43AC511 - Jon <-> 2H4JG John
Also visit our sister site at www.cyprus-storms.webs.com
For all the latest weather and related information for the Eastern Med and beyond